Tuesday, March 25, 2014

POLITICS, POLITICS ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!


Eyes were popping at 7th and Montana yesterday as a candidate running for local office practiced his campaign speech on me and Genevieve.  "Howdy," he said, "Mind if I run my statement by you?"  He cleared his throat, waved a piece of paper in the air, and began reciting the lyrics to that popular children's tune, "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes ... Knees and Toes!"  By the time he got to "eyes and nose and mouth and ears," I knew something was terribly wrong.  "What do you think?," he asked.  I answered quickly before he could launch into another chorus.  "I'd say you're head and shoulders above the rest, not to mention knees and toes!"  Genevieve noted that he'll be facing some pretty stiff competition.  "Yes," I agreed, "I hear her speech will draw heavily on the Hokey Pokey."  I could see his mind at work, almost like the wheels on the bus that go round and round.  "I have to run," he said, "Whether I win or not, it's the right thing to do!"  As for me, I learned an important lesson:  Sometimes a stump speech can leave you competely stumped ...! 

No comments: