Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A WALK IN FORT WORTH ...


Fort Worth is an interesting town. It was established in 1849 as an army outpost on a bluff overlooking the Trinity River (pictured above). It quickly evolved from a sleepy outpost to a bustling mecca when it became a stop along the Chisholm Trail, the legendary path where cows were led to market. Even today, the Stockyards, just North of downtown, remain a center of activity for the livestock industry. Thus far, I've only been able to see the area of Fort Worth that surrounds my hotel, the Sundance Square, and I have to say it seems like a ghost town. Virtually no one was out and about when I took a brief walk yesterday, except perhaps for an Unusual Topiary Cowboy stationed in front of the Plaza Hotel building, a saloon dating back to 1908 which apparently rented "guest rooms" by the hour.

I couldn't tell whether the Topiary Cowboy was waving hello to passersby (which in this case was just me) or waving a gun. But that's not what interested me the most.

In case you're wondering, the cowboy's distinctive Topiary Horse didn't shit rose petals. I checked ...!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Well it would have been nice if it had been rose petals 'cause they smell good. I've never been to Fort Worth but have been to Dallas. Enjoy your trip to Texas.