Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TEMPE TIME ...!

It was time for Tempe today as I made my way to Arizona for two days of industry meetings. It's been a while since I've been to Arizona and I forgot how much I like it this time of year. Tempe is famous for its hot climate ... and I got a taste of it this afternoon in more ways than one. No sooner did I leave my hotel, than I stumbled into what appeared to be a heated political debate among a number of Arizona's Congressional candidates. Banners were hung around the City Hall reading "Stop Spending Our Money!" Libertarian Candidate Nick Coons (below right) was milling about. Coons, it should be noted, thinks Social Security is "one of the worst financial scams ever perpetrated by our government." His view on welfare and poverty is as follows: "Government-run welfare is an abysmal failure and must come to an end if we're truly serious about helping the poor." I walked around muttering "Spend our Money ... Spend, Spend, Spend ... More Government, That's the Answer!" If you don't hear from me tomorrow, perhaps it's because Coon's view on gun ownership is that there should be no government restrictions, whatsoever ...!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Haha...be careful, they might stop you and ask you for your papers if you keep talking like that!

emikk said...

You do have your papers on you....don't you?

Marty said...

You bet I have my papers on me. I hear the authorities here are "profiling," specifically trying to encarcerate short, skinny white guys wearing glasses.

19thc Sarah said...

Well, this short, white, glasses-wearer can help you out if you really want to get profiled by government officials in a red state. Wearing a "Republicans for Obama" button at all times worked the trick for me in the last general election. Even got warned I could generate a "Race Riot" and a "Party Riot." (Seriously.)