Friday, August 31, 2007

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A CONCIERGE ...

                             

Last time I was in Berlin, the concierge at my hotel pulled off what seemed like a minor miracle.  He was able to book me on a flight that was already fully booked.  Today I overheard this same man, Torsten, effortlessly save the day for someone else.  His phone conversation went something like this:

"Hello, sir, your tickets to the Ballet are here.  I'm sure you will have a wonderful time ...  It's the best ballet company in Europe."  Pause.  "What's that?  I'm sorry, didn't you request tickets to the ballet this morning?"  Pause.  "I see. No, not at all, it can be arranged.  I will call you right back."  Pause, as Torsten dials another call, shouts in rapid German, hangs up, takes a deep breath and dials again.  "Hello sir, so sorry for the misunderstanding, I've fixed everything.  No more Ballet Dancing.  You have reservations at 8:30 to see some Belly Dancing ...Yes, I assure you, it's all quite authentic ...!"

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a bit of a tongue twister for Torsten!I suspect, knowing the German belly dancer's, there will be a pole involved in their repatoire!
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh now that is funny! I don't care who you are that is some funny stuff!
                                                                                          Lovins...
                                                                                          TrayCee

Anonymous said...

Trying to remember what movie I saw but it really gave you an insight as to what they put up with day-to-day, lol.  I guess maybe bits and pieces of movies.  He looks the picture of calm in that photo, lol.

Anonymous said...

ARE you telling the truth about ths one???? Too funny!! Barb

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice to have someone like Torsten around the house! --Cin

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb --
To answer your question, yes:  the ballet dancing/belly dancing story is completely true.  I was standing there the whole time, specifically waiting to thank Torsten again for his help last time with my flight when I overheard the whole thing.  However, I don't recall his exact words so the quotes aren't exact.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

lol...must be the accent!!  
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

i have a belly that dances on its own.Its possessed... or just fat!! beckie x