Monday, September 7, 2009

A WALK THROUGH BERLIN ...

Where does an American in Berlin go to get a nice, quiet American-style dinner? That's the question I posed to my hotel concierge tonight and his answer, the Exxpressobar Bistro Crèperie, left me scratching my head. I knew this place wasn't for me as soon as I saw the "mascot" standing out front, a six-foot Hot Dog draped in an American Flag, pouring copious amounts of ketchup on his head. Their motto -- "Let's have a party!!!" -- might be a bit more appealing if the restaurant wasn't facing the Holocaust Memorial, a grim reminder of six million lives lost, right near the location where the ruins of Hitler's bunker is buried (pictured below).


I hurried past, ate a quick dinner at a nearby Asian restaurant, and continued on my way.


My walk took me past the Reichstag, an 18th Century architectural masterpiece that housed the first Parliament of the German Empire, and to the new government buildings beyond, just north of the Tiergarten (pictured below).



I continued along the banks of the Spree River until I came upon a familiar site.

A Camera Crew was setting up a photo shoot near the river's edge. Their attention was focused on a man wearing what looked like a Marionette Theater on his head. An opening just above his shoulders allowed his face to show through, as if on stage. "He's a famous musician," said the Photographer's Assistant, proudly, "Do you recognize him?" "Of course!," I lied. Perhaps it was Kukla, at long last leaving Fran and Ollie to pursue a Solo Career ...!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Loved the dancing hot dog...

Proving to be an interesting trip! The Reichstag is an amazing building...

be well...

Ken Riches said...

Cannot believe you did not want to partake of Wienerstien :o)

Beth said...

That looks to be a solemn and sobering memorial. :(