Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE MOTHER OF ALL STARBUCKS ...!


From the moment I woke up in Bellevue this morning, I was like a man on a mission. "Here I am," I thought, "in Starbucks' own backyard. I cannot leave here without visiting the source of all Starbucks." And so it was that after a day of intensive meetings at Microsoft, I jumped in a cab and zipped to the site of the very first Starbucks at Pike Place in Seattle. Let me tell you, I couldn't have been more excited if I was going to see the Oracle at Delphi. "Howdy," I said to the Barista on Duty, "This doesn't look like an ordinary Starbucks." "It's not," she said, "This is the first Starbucks so it's a lot smaller than most." Indeed it was. There wasn't even a pastry case. "I'll have a Grande Half Caff and an Apple Fritter," I said, smiling. "We're all out of decaff and we don't have any Apple Fritters," she said. "Oh," I replied, "Then make it a full-fledged caffeinated cup of coffee and an Apple Fritter." "We don't sell pastries here, sir," she said. "What?!?," I replied, "No Fritters?!? ... How is this possible?!?" On and on we went, until at last I jumped back in my cab and headed to the airport. If any of you find yourselves in Seattle, I highly recommend a trip to the world's first Starbucks ... and tell them I sent you. It's a great place to fritter away a few minutes ...!

4 comments:

Paula said...

I've led such a sheltered life. I've yet to visit a Starbucks in person. You know how we country hicks are? So glad I get to read all about them in your interesting blog.

Ken Riches said...

Heaven it must have seemed like, no apple fritters ;o)

Webster said...

I'm so glad you got to see the very first Starbuck's, Marty. You're right. No trip to Seattle is complete without going there, humble though it may be.

It's where I had my first double tall latte.

Anonymous said...

Not too many places can match Starbucks for decaf. Hope you didn't get the jitters from the caffeine.
-Cin