Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"THE BIG DIG" AT 7TH AND MONTANA ...!

                             

"Quick, call the National Guard ... we're under attack!"  That was my first reaction after arriving at Our Favorite Starbucks last night to check on the status of the Big Renovation.  It looked like a bomb had gone off.  Rubble and trash were everywhere, the counters were askew and equipment was piled all over the place.  The door was open, so I poked my head in and tried to act nonchalant.  "I'll have a Grande Half Caff and the Los Angeles Times," I said to one of the Construction Workers, who merely laughed and gave me an update regarding work-in-progress.  They're adding new countertops, seating, wall panels, electrical outlets and additional lighting.  At the same time, they're also repainting the exterior and installing new doors.  The Jury is still out, however, regarding whether they can re-open on Thursday, as planned.  In related news, the Jury is also out for me, personally:  I was "dismissed" from Jury Duty yesterday after waiting all day at the L.A. County Superior Court ...!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get dismissed after filling out the forms where I get to tell them what I think of the judicial system. For some reason, they don't want me after that.
I hope your favorite Starbucks is ready by Thursday. --Cin

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see they are renovating an already existing building, rather than rebuilding. I find it odd how many times this happens. You have a perfectly usable building and instead of renovating, they'll build another right next to it. Leaving the previous building standing and empty for years on end. People tend to be wasteful in so many ways. Here's to hoping your Starbucks is up and running again soon. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

That looks like a first class mess!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Marty, there's a light out on the back right hand panel.......... ;-) Just kidding LOLOL.
Gaz

Anonymous said...

Wow... what a mess!  I do hope they reopen in time!  I know how much you want your Starbucks back!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Jury Duty!?...I've been called 5 different times sense 1984...I ALWAYS gave my best efforts!...But...After my middle daughter was put through the system for a year 7 years ago, I tell them that my opinion  is biosed. I am excused..........every time.

As far as the renovation is conserned, unless they have a fleet of experianced help, I don't see your local watering hole opening when contracted to!... But I have a wait and see attitude on that one...Later sweet-pea...kit

Anonymous said...

I've been called twice and never picked.  I imagine getting to my local courthouse was probably a whole lot easier and cheaper than the place you had to get too, lol.  

Anonymous said...

maybe they could work on casa de bozo, or whatever its called.beckie x