Saturday, May 2, 2009

THE MAYOR OF CRAZYVILLE ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!


The Artist Formerly Known as Rigolatte for his tendency to stand in front of Our Favorite Starbucks belting out opera tunes shocked the crowd at 7th and Montana yesterday by changing genres: He was singing Disco Music from the 1970's. I knew something was terribly wrong when he poked his head into Starbucks, turned towards the Pastry Counter and sang a few bars from Gloria Gaynor's 1978 torchsong I Will Survive. At first I was afraid, I was petrified ... and who wouldn't be with a demented songbird like that standing nearby. Then I realized he might get away before I could get any decent blog material. I followed him as far as 7th Street, took a quick photo and ran into Screenwriter Mark. "It sounds like our songbird has changed his tune," I said, "What do you think he's singing now?" "It's a new song he wrote all by himself and it goes something like this," said Mark, singing, "I AM THE MAAAYOR OF CRAAAZYVILLE ...!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only song I hate more than I Will Survive from that period is Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain. My Dad liked that song and used to play it over & over.....correction, I thought he liked it, later he told me it was just to get me going about how much I hated it :-0.

Beth said...

I like Cake's version of "I Will Survive," which throws in an F-bomb and says, "I should have changed my f***ing locks." I think it adds a nice element to the song.

LOL at Mary's comment! Your Dad was messin' witcha! That song is "MacArthur Park," by the way.

garnett109 said...

Marty what a cast of characters you have there!
At least he was not singing Le freak!

Sage Ravenwood said...

Maybe he's striving for more upbeat with 70's pop. (Hugs)Indigo

emikk said...

Who will survive his singing is my question.

Myra said...

What if he starts with Gregorian Chants?? Yikes!