Sunday, March 21, 2010

THE MARATHON MAN ... AT 7TH AND SAN VICENTE


The Loons were out in full force this morning on San Vicente Blvd. as folks came from miles around to cheer-on the participants in today's Los Angeles Marathon. I knew something was up when I heard drums playing at my door beginning at 8:00 a.m. I went outside to investigate and came face-to-face with "Clyde and his Synergistic Sonic Sensor Shuttle," a one-man band comprised mainly of drums, a xylophone and dozens of statues and figurines.


"I welcome visitors from all planets," said Clyde, who -- it should be noted -- was wearing a tin helmet equipped with various accouterments ranging from a fork to a Slinky Junior. He seemed to be one snare short of a drum set. "Great," I replied, "You're in the right place!" I beat a hasty retreat to a table nearby where a group of young women were handing out bananas to passersby. "Ha, ha, ha," I said loudly, "I get the impression some of the folks around here are what they eat!"



I turned to face the person standing next to me and, to my surprise, it was Clyde, who had left his Sonic Sensor Shuttle behind and was engaged in what appeared to be a friendly debate with an enormous puppet. They were arguing over who had the "rights" to entertain folks on San Vicente. "So much for welcoming visitors from all planets," I mused.



Needless to say, by mid-morning I was ready to head for the hills, even if it meant joining the Marathon myself. Take it from me, there's only so much one can stand of a one-man band, especially when it consists entirely of percussion instruments. Then, again, maybe I just march to the beat of a different drummer ...!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Imagine my disappointment when I went to a dance and the band was a one-man band.

Ken Riches said...

We can only hope to march to the beat of a different drums, the key is to not let it by a cymbal of anything more.

ShrooMama said...

Ahahahaa...are you posing like the famous Bigfoot "photo"? My kid & I do that when weird things are afoot.
--Cin