Saturday, November 27, 2010

MISSED MANNERS ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!


They say that chivalry is dead ... and if that's true, I'd like you to meet two of the vultures who have been quietly picking at its bones this week at 7th and Montana. The first, a young woman in her early thirties (pictured above), backed into me and stepped on my foot while we were both waiting in line to order coffee on Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong ... the fact that she backed into me didn't bother me at all. Accidents happen, and we all have our klutzy moments. It's what happened next that came as a shocker. Instead of the usual "I'm sorry" or "Pardon me," she turned around and glared at me as if I did something wrong. Next up was the Charmer who stood in line behind Joyce this morning. Every time she thought Joyce wasn't looking, she jockeyed for position like a racehorse ... quietly trying to cut to the front of the line. Ultimately, one of the Baristas had to tell her to wait her turn. I realize these aren't isolated incidents -- stories like this are all too common -- but the whole thing has me wondering. Where do people get such an inflated sense of self worth? I guess it must be that old Hollywood affliction: A case of mistaken nonentity ...!

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

We certainly have seemed to have lost our sense of manners.

Paula said...

I went to Starbucks twice in the last six days but I didn't step inside for fear something strange would happen like you write about so we used the drive-thru. lol