Thursday, June 11, 2009

A BAD CASE OF TROMBOSIS ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!


Head for the Hills, folks! There's a Rogue Trombonist in our midst and something tells me he's 76 Trombones short of a Parade. I caught up with him "in concert" last night, not far from Our Favorite Starbucks, creating the kind of noise one might expect from a dying Sea Lion. It took me a while, but I finally realized that he was trying to play Sentimental Journey, the 1944 ballad made famous by Les Brown and his Orchestra. "Wow," I said, in an effort to distract him, "That's the best Slide Trombone Solo I've ever heard in this neighborhood!" He let my remark slide ... and carried on as if I wasn't there. Believe me, soon enough, I wasn't ...!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I take it he was not one of Les Browns Band of Renowned!...and was remiss to remain reclusive with his...?...Hummm, talents.

garnett109 said...

Maybe his gig is when the saints go marching in .

Ken Riches said...

At least you were not a captive audience and could exit, stage left :o)

Beth said...

Yeah...I don't usually think of the trombone as a solo instrument! I love the title of the entry, by the way!

Webster said...

Now, now Marty. It's not nice to get snarky with street musicians.

Unless, that is, they're playing at the crack of dawn.