Friday, June 5, 2009

FINE ART ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA


How would you like to travel 3,000 miles for a little rest and relaxation, only to have a complete stranger dredge-up your worst problems as soon as you arrive? Ladies and Gentlemen, meet Yehuda, a man who has been dealing with a scandal so ugly it followed him all the way from Boston to Santa Monica. As President of Brandeis University, he recently decided that the University should sell a number of valuable works of art to raise money. The resulting uproar -- from the art community, alumni, and insiders -- made international headlines. When I read about it, I couldn't help putting myself in the position of the people who had donated the art to begin with, all of whom have passed away. How would you like to give a valuable gift -- designed to create a legacy in a world-class museum -- only to have it sold-off to the highest bidder? I guess that's why I tackled Yehuda as soon as I saw him. "Howdy," I said, "I've read all about ... your controversy." "Yes," said Yehuda politely, "I have some artwork to sell. Are you interested?" "How much?," I asked. "Trust me," he replied, "you can't afford it!"

5 comments:

Beth said...

Ouch man.

Ken Riches said...

What if you got a second job :o)

garnett109 said...

why is he selling it in california?

Sage Ravenwood said...

A sign of the times?...(Hugs)Indigo

Unknown said...

Nice guy :) Needs to change his name; he gives other Yehudas (Mark's hebrew name) a bad rap.