Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ...

Most people think the folks in Hollywood live a pretty glamorous life, but something I saw yesterday at one of the studios was enough to almost make me lose my lunch. There I was, about to grab a quick lunch at the employee cafe, when I saw a small, discreet sign posted near the entrance. "Warning," it said, "Chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here." I've seen many signs like this before, usually warning of potentially hazardous materials used in a building's construction, but this was the first time I noticed a restaurant warning that its food might contain known carcinogens. It didn't stop me from enjoying my meal. "I'll have a Uranium Burger with Cheese ... on second thought, make that Cheez Spread!," I said. "Would you like anything to drink with that?," said the man behind the counter, dryly. "Yes," I replied, "A large glass of Reactor Juice ... on the rocks!"


3 comments:

Rose said...

Oh my, I've never seen a Warning notice like this before! I guess it is their way of protecting themselves from lawsuites.

Well, remember there is Warning notices on cigaretts and people still don't pay attention......yet they still allow the sale of them.

I don't know if I would eat in that restaurant if they so boldly posted that WARNING!

How about brown bagging it from now on?

Hugs, Rose

Paula said...

I've never seen a sign like this either but I live in a small town. Like Rose said maybe they are trying to protect themselves. Guess at least they are being honest. It is no telling what we eat and don't know it.

Ken Riches said...

Sure, pick on nuclear again :o)