Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DOG POOP, AHOY ... ON SAN VICENTE!


It was three cheers for the City of Santa Monica today as word spread that they've launched an innovative new iPhone application called GORequest that allows concerned citizens to report all kinds of problems to the City with the push of a button. I first heard about it from Neighbor Bob who sent me an e-mail urging me to check it out. "Having read your blog for many years, I'm sure there are a lot of items at 7th and Montana in need of attention," he said, "Maybe you could start sending a few pictures to the city to see what happens." Today I decided to do just that. I downloaded the application after work and went on an evening inspection tour of the neighborhood, intent on finding something something amiss. I was so busy examining the sidewalks for signs of cracks or graffiti that I nearly walked right into a Sweet Little Old Lady. "Is something wrong, dear?," she asked, "Have you lost something?" I couldn't help noticing that she was walking two poodles. "Well," I said, "I haven't lost anything but maybe you can help me. Have your dogs done their business yet?" I showed her my new iPhone application and explained how it allowed me to report all kinds of incidents to the city. "I'm just trying to put it to the test," I said. "I'm sorry I can't help you," she replied, waving a plastic bag in my direction, "They've already gone!" "Oh, well," I said, "Perhaps we can stage something?" She politely declined, but not before giving me some valuable advice. "Why don't you check the sidewalk in front of the Carlthorp School," she suggested, "Nobody cleans up after their dogs around there." She was right. Seconds after arriving on the scene, I came face-to-face with a steaming dog turd. I whipped out my Spycam, opened the GORequest application and submitted a report to the City entitled "Dog Poop, Ahoy!" I've already received an e-mail from the City, thanking me for my efforts and promising to take action within ten days ...!


2 comments:

garnett109 said...

I think that is a load of crap

Paula said...

I THINK THAT NICE LITTLE OLD LADY HAD YOUR NUMBER.