Thursday, February 18, 2010

DOGGONE DINNERTIME ... IN AMSTERDAM!

It was Many Happy Returns today as I arrived at the Starbucks in Amsterdam, intent on playing my usual games with the Barista. Every time I'm here, I make it a point to order the same thing I always get at 7th and Montana -- a "Grande Half Caff" -- just to watch the Dutch Baristas squirm. Usually, they look at me like I have three heads before telling me that they've never heard of a "Half Caff." You see, they don't drink a lot of decaff around here, so the notion of mixing regular and decaffeinated coffee is entirely alien to them. Today, however, my Barista was One Smart Cookie. She figured out what I had in mind and whipped it up in no time. I wasn't as lucky when it came to dinner. For 15 years, I've been going to the same restaurant in Utrecht, the Taj Mahal, a quaint Indian restaurant in the shadow of the Dom Tower, the tallest church tower in the Netherlands, dating back to the 1300's. I've been there so often they remember me. "Hello, Chicken Tikka Masala," they always say, "Your table is waiting." Well, my table wasn't waiting today and neither was I. I remembered that there was another Indian restaurant nearby, the Restaurant Gandhi, so I decided to give it a try. "Will you be having the special?," asked the waiter. I glanced at a sign hanging on the wall in front of me and couldn't help noticing that the special was something called "Mango Lassie." Gandhi was known for a lot of things, but his appetite wasn't one of them. I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala and it was pretty good. Who knows, maybe I'll return tomorrow for a little hair of the dog that bit me. Rin Tin Tenderloin, anyone ...?!?

5 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Have a safe trip. I would love to visit Amsterdam some day :o)

emikk said...

Is it true that all Starbucks have been notified about you showing up..your picture is probably posted in the employee lounge throughout the WORLD!

Paula said...

Very interesting entry but I think I would have to pass on Lassie.

garnett109 said...

What ever you do Don't order the sweet n sour Cat

woof

Anonymous said...

I'll make sure not to bring my dog Angel to the office close to dinner time Marty!