Monday, February 22, 2010

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN ... IN BARCELONA


A funny thing happened yesterday when I took the subway from my hotel, the Hesperia Tower, to downtown Barcelona. I don't mean "funny ha-ha." It was more like funny as in "strange," "offbeat" and "sad." An elderly gentleman boarded the train in Cataluyna, wearing one shoe, torn jeans and a tattered sport coat. He stood at the front of the train, cleared his throat and made an announcement in a deep, booming voice. Even with my limited understanding of Spanish, I could understand him. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I suffer," he said, "I haven't worked for 15 years. I live on the streets. I eat my shoe for dinner." He walked up and down the length of the train, collecting money from nearly every passenger. He bowed deeply to one and all and got off at the next stop. Moments later, the process was repeated, this time with another poor soul who boarded the train with a different story. "Help me, help me ... I need money," he slurred. He seemed drunk. This time, few people responded. Were they all tapped-out, I wondered, or were they making judgments based on each man's presentation? My heart goes out to anyone in need, but the Internet is full of warnings about people to avoid in Barcelona and the list includes everything ranging from pick-pockets to little old ladies who appear out of nowhere and pin carnations to your lapel. I think I'll stick with the taxis from now on.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Its so hard to want to help people now days when You know so many of them are collecting for their next drink or worse.

garnett109 said...

The poor guy needs some haff caff money

emikk said...

It's always tough to figure out who's needing and who's bullshitting.

Ken Riches said...

Sounds like avoiding the subway is a great idea. I concur that it is hard to figure out who is in need and who is scamming.