Thursday, February 25, 2010

A LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO FLIGHT ... !

It was a Long Day's Journey into Flight this morning as I was caught smack in the middle of the French Air Traffic Controllers Strike which caused hundreds of flight cancellations across Europe, including my own to London. Because of the strike, nearly all of the flights leaving Barcelona -- except for those from Air France -- were prevented from flying over French air space. The only way I was able to leave Barcelona was to quickly scramble behind-the-scenes at 5:00 a.m. to get myself on a flight to Paris via Air France and then from Paris to Los Angeles. In other words, I flew right into the belly of the beast as far as the Air Traffic Controllers' strike was concerned. Speaking of Beastly Bellies, the whole ordeal seemed to be too much for the person sitting next to me -- a man I'll call "Chuck" (pictured above) -- who couldn't stop bellyaching about all the inconvenience the strike was causing him. Shortly after takeoff, he proved his point by up-chucking like there was no tomorrow, filling up two-and-a-half Barf Bags. Thank God they weren't serving any Bone Marrow Omelets for breakfast or things might have been a lot worse ...!

5 comments:

Webster said...

Well Marty, I hope you used copious amounts of hand sanitizer and Airborne(TM) before, during and after that flight. Either that, or hope you have one fantastic immune system.

Kvetching I can handle; Retching, not so much.

Unknown said...

EEeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuu!!! My friend, you could have kept this one to yourself! I feel for you. I would not have wished that sort of an end to a busy frustrating trip on anyone . My weak stomic can imagine it all to well!

Bookncoffee said...

Oh my goodness. I bet he would smack you for taking the pic if he were not busy barfing. How on earth do you get away with it? My camera phone is so loud I couldn't do it!

Was the flight rough or something?

Marty said...

Hi Sonya,
The trick is to put your phone on "silent" mode and to somehow disguise the fact that you're taking a photo. I recommend making it look like you're sending a text message. Let me know how it works for you!
Best,
Marty

Ken Riches said...

Holy upchuck MartyMan, more than two barfbags is unreal.