Saturday, July 5, 2008

CHARITY BEGINS AT 7TH AND MONTANA ...!

                               

Charity began at 7th and Montana this morning as Our Favorite Starbucks unveiled a new Book Drive to help kids at the Miramonte Elementary School -- a low-income school in South L.A. -- improve their reading skills.  To participate in the program, just bring a book, something suitable for a student between Kindergarten and Grade 5, to Starbucks.  Starbucks will make sure your donation gets into the right hands.  I, for one, can hardly wait to begin donating to the cause.  In fact, you could say I got an early start.  At precisely 8:45 a.m. this morning, the Notorious Neighborhood Newspaper Thief -- known until recently for stealing newspapers from Our Favorite Starbucks -- quietly arrived on the scene and cast a furtive glance towards the Newspaper Stand.

                    

"Excuse me, Sir," I said, intercepting him, "Would you like my Los Angeles Times?  I'm done with it and I hate to see it go to waste."  The thief -- who has been traveling incognito ever since someone plastered a "Wanted" poster with his picture on it all over 7th and Montana -- looked at me as if I were Kris Kringle himself.  "Thank you," he gushed, "I owe you one!"  And with that, he jumped on his Getaway Bike and pedaled away as fast as his legs could carry him.  He was last seen heading due East, perhaps towards the Miramonte School ...!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he is actually the "Robin Hood of Papers" and donates them to the school library or homeless?  That was very kind of you.  Will all Starbuks be forwarding the books to this particular school or just in your area??  I think that is a wonderful charity!

Anonymous said...

I'll donate the books as soon as the drug dealer's kids that have add and adhd return the hooked on phonics that i stole for them.
enjoy your weekend

Anonymous said...

I think the newspaper thief just doesn't buy loo roll, I here newspaper's work just as well except for th fact you end up with the head lines on yer Harris!
Yes, I'm back, I missed 7th and Montana too much.
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

he probaly stole all thier books,beckie x

Anonymous said...

That is awesome getting books for kids!  Yay!  And, so nice to give the thief your paper!  Poor Kate and Lance... NOT!  Shop online!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I think this is an awesome charity effort. I also think you were a pretty decent guy yourself for handing over your LA Times. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Oh you made his day!  I highly recommend the books about Skippy Jon Jones.  They are hilarious!  My girls love them.
Traci

Anonymous said...

Maybe thats his old alma mater, where he first learned to read thanks to book drives such as this!  What happened to him between then and now that turned him into a thief...running with the wrong crowd??  You are much too kind :)
xoxo ~Myra