Wednesday, July 9, 2008

THE WINE CELLAR ...

                             

As usual, my colleagues asked me to organize a group dinner for us last night, someplace "away from the Magic Kingdom" where we could have a quiet dinner meeting.  Nothing against Disneyland, but after a while you yearn to eat in an atmosphere free of Animatronic Puppets.  "What do you feel like?," I asked the group.  "Someplace local," they said, "Surprise us."  So I took them to a nice restaurant called The Cellar I didn't tell them until we were en route that it was built by Walt Disney in the late 1960s as a location where he could give visiting executives an initial taste of Disneyland.  He hired the same "Imagineers" who built the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland to transform an ordinary basement in Fullerton into a cavernous wine cellar.  "Don't worry," I said as we descended into the Murky Depths, "It's just like Pirates of the Caribbean, except all the puppets look like waiters ...!"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a neat place!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could have joined you all!!
What a great idea.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

If you see Jimmy Hoffa there let him know that he has been missing for about 40 years.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool place
Laini

Anonymous said...

Wow!  What a menu.  What did you have?!
Traci

Anonymous said...

LOL  Sounds great!!!  What a find... if I ever come out to the Disney CA... I will make a stop there too!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of the pub in the city of London where Jack the ripperused to go.
Watch out, watch out, jacks about.
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

I brought a godchild to Disney once.  I was perm damaged from the character breakfast, so I understand the need to be muppet free for a bit. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

how awesome does that look!  I hope you had a glass of red for me!!

~Amy

Anonymous said...

-muppets, thats what we call idiots in britian-
puppets give me the creeps :) beckie x
this doesnt make sense i know, just thought id give you  a slang word.oh yeah, have they got pigeons in disney world, i gotta ask xx

Anonymous said...

so how did they like it?  Looks like it should get an "A" for atmosphere...!

Anonymous said...

I love places like that. I think after a few days I would relish a bit of peace myself. (Hugs)Indigo