Tuesday, November 11, 2008

RIP VAN STINKEL ... AT 30,000 FEET!

I guess I only have myself to blame, but once again I found myself sitting next to the seat mate from hell this evening aboard United Flight #27 from New York to Los Angeles. The fun began yesterday when I agreed to take another "day trip" to New York for a meeting. My meeting ended a bit earlier than expected, which meant that I had a chance to catch an earlier flight home. I used all my "pull" with United to get the last remaining seat on an earlier flight ... even though the woman at the ticket counter tried to warn me that I might not be very happy. "This is literally the last seat on the plane," she said, "It's not exactly the best seat in the house." Fifteen minutes later, I knew what she meant. There, sitting next to me, was "Rip van Stinkel." Rip, an Asian man in his mid 50's, fell asleep almost as soon as the flight began. He snored loudly, smelled like pickles, and spent most of the flight jamming his elbow into my side. Next time, I'm bringing a gas mask ...!

8 comments:

Joann said...

I think I sat next to his brother once, the guy kept falling asleep on my SHOULDER and slept with his mouth open and his breath smelled like he'd been eating CRAP!! Literally!!

TMI??

garnett109 said...

I had a chick fall asleep on my lap in a greyhound going to Oklahoma from Pa. and I did not complain what so ever.

Myra said...

UGH!! The good thing is you got home earlier than expected. Wow, thats a tough trip! Pickles...yuk!!

Traci said...

Mmmm, sounds like so much fun!

emikk said...

You have all the fun Marty!

Beth said...

I suppose there are worse things to smell of than pickles, but after a 4-or-so hour flight, I bet it will be a while before you eat a pickle.

Hugs, Beth

Lynne said...

Think my worst flight was from CO, and I got stuck beside a woman in a fur coat that made me sneeze, that had coffee breath! It was bad. We were in the very last seat of the plane, so the agony was prolonged when the plane landed. I was so glad to get off that plane!

Saltydawg said...

I flew home from Glasgow last night next to a Scotsman that stunk of whisky........ Well, there's a surprise, so I know what ya mean Marty.
Gaz