Friday, November 28, 2008

CURSES, FOILED AGAIN ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!

My nose for news pulled double-duty this morning at 7th and Montana as I not once, but twice, caught the Notorious Newspaper Thief in the act of doing what he does best: Trying to steal copies of The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times from Our Favorite Starbucks. The fun began at 8:39 a.m., when the Newspaper Thief quietly made his entrance. He looked around -- as if to case the joint -- then inched his way to the newspaper display. Just when he started reaching for the newspapers, I held my camera aloft, pointed it in his direction and smiled. He recoiled, as usual, and fled the scene ... but I knew he'd be back for more. Indeed, he returned at 10:15 but I was ready for him. This time, he took one look at me and knew the jig was up. He avoided the newspaper display altogether and, instead, began fishing through the trash in a desperate effort to piece together the morning news. Seriously, if he's that interested in the news, I would have been more than happy to share today's top headline with him: "Local Shoplifter Caught in the Act: Another Burglary Bungled ...!"

5 comments:

Myra said...

Kudos to you for hanging aroung the Starbucks all day waiting for "news" to happen! You should put his mug shot up for all to see! Oh, wait, he's already on the internet for millions to see :)

Lynne said...

Does he actually read them or is he using them to line a cage or something? Makes one wonder???

emikk said...

You (or the LA times)should rig up a trap. my suggestion would be a boxing glove on the end of an accordian spring that punches him in the nose whenever he tries to "bag" a purloined newspaper....I commend you Marty for going to great lengths and out of your "comfort zone" to put the squelch on these dregs...thanks, eric

garnett109 said...

Would be theif has no paper to go!

Saltydawg said...

You were there an awful long time this morning Marti. I suspect you were waiting for another delivery of apple fritters.
Gaz ;-)