Sunday, January 4, 2009

ROLLING OUT THE RED CARDS ... AT 7TH AND MONTANA!


I was red-faced with embarrassment this morning at 7th and Montana as Our Favorite City Councilman, Bobby Shriver, politely took me to task for not carrying a (Red) Card, the new "stored value card" that allows you to donate while you drink at Starbucks. "Here," he said, handing me a card, "You need one of these!" The (Red) Card ties into the charity, (Red)™, which Bobby established together with Bono of U2 in 2006 to help fight AIDS in Africa. From now through the end of the year, every time you make a purchase at a participating Starbucks using a (Red) Card, Starbucks will donate 5 cents to the global fund to save lives in Africa. Already, based on a similar promotion running last month, Starbucks customers have generated enough money to fund 1.4 million daily doses of lifesaving medicine. So, I promptly thanked Bobby for the card and loaded it up with cash. What happens when it runs out? I guess I'll be caught red-handed ...!

11 comments:

Mike said...

Did he at least put some money on it for you?

emikk said...

I guess if we all helped out with red cards we could make a big impact in a positive way....and that's a good thing.

Myra said...

Leave it to Starbucks to be cutting edge on charity donations! Love your meez with the happy new year hat. So ya' Vegas bound yet?? Have a great time!

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Sounds like a good cause, too bad they don't donate to causes here in America too.

Saltydawg said...

That's such a good way to give. Marty, I gotta ask how big's that cup in your hand, it looks like it holds about 2 liters of coffee?
I'd be buzzin all day!
Gaz :-)

garnett109 said...

Marty send them those extra large sizes in my last post! LMAO!

kelly said...

I could use a big cup of java right now.. nice way to spread the wealth..
Kelly~

Rose said...

It's a good cause.

Hugs,Rose

Traci said...

Sounds like a good deal!

Cynthia said...

Good to know about the red card.
Starbucks coffee sends me zoomzoomzooming, but thier pastries
are delicious!
Hey you look like a young Paul
McCartney.

Ken Riches said...

Thanks for the picture, to bad we saw it after we met. Of course, not to fear, we all recognized each other immediately :o)