Saturday, January 10, 2009

TRAVEL ALERT: BELLAGIO HOTEL


They say that "revenge is a dish best served cold," but I didn't waste any time getting my revenge on the Bellagio for their deceptive practice of charging guests for the use of an Ethernet Cable by including it in the minibar and calling it a "souvenir." Early this morning, the hotel sent me an "urgent" message, offering a deep discount of more than $200 if I wanted to extend my stay for an extra night. Evidently, the Bellagio, like all the other hotels in Las Vegas, is suffering based on the less-than-expected attendance at the Consumer Electronics Show this year. Tempting as it was to stay an extra night, I decided to rush right downstairs and give the hotel my answer in person. "Well, Norma," I explained to the woman at the check-out desk, "I'd love to extend my stay for another night but that $14 charge on my bill for the "Refreshment Center" is actually for an Ethernet Cable, something that every other hotel I have ever stayed at provides for free. It's leaving such a bad taste in my mouth that I've decided to check-out rather than stay another night." Norma was quite understanding, encouraged me to send a note to the hotel management (which I have already done) and mentioned, almost sheepishly, that just this morning the Bellagio management raised the price of the Ethernet Cable by another dollar. "Not to worry," I said happily as I checked-out, "By my calculations, the Bellagio has just lost $115 and gained another empty room for tonight." By the way, I concluded my note to the Bellagio management by telling them: "For more information on my experience, I invite you to run a Google search on either Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas Hotels or Bellagio Internet Cable. I've posted my opinions online to forewarn future guests about your Deceptive Internet Charges and -- yes -- I used my "souvenir" Ethernet Cable from your "Refreshment Center" to do it ...!"

14 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Oh, so sneaky to put the camera phone up while she was distracted. Glad you got some satisfaction, revenge might be stretching it a bit :o)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Way to go! If you want to bring the customers in courtesy is always first and you DON'T add more surcharges just because you can. (Hugs)Indigo

garnett109 said...

Those bean counters got to get back to reality most hotels around here have wii conection and there is no charge

Saltydawg said...

Hahhhhhhh LOVE IT! She looks a bit of a sour puss behind the counter too. I was always told service with a smile.
Gaz

Beth said...

Heh heh heh. Well played, Marty, well played!

Joann said...

Good for you, Marty!! Glad you were able to let them know personally that they were taking advantage of their customers, and SO glad that they can just google your opinion!!

barb said...

good going, marty---a man after my own heart!! barb

Anonymous said...

Bravo, magnificent idea

Anonymous said...

What magnificent words

Anonymous said...

I am at the Bellagio now and there is a menu right next to the serving center that clearly shows the prices.
Nit sure how you didn't know you'd be charged for it.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

I visited various web pages except the audio feature for audio
songs current at this site is actually wonderful.


Here is my web blog :: house music

Anonymous said...

After waiting 35 minutes to speak with someone, I was told the three suspicious $5 charges on my bill with the description of "Refreshment Center (NT)" were for a coke, diet coke, and sprite -- all on the evening I arrived at 11 pm. Ha! They removed them. I guess they take the gamble (pun intended) and see what they can get away with.