Monday, October 20, 2008

LOOK WHAT THE CHESHIRE CAT DRAGGED IN ... AT NARITA AIRPORT!

It was "Hello Kitty" and "Goodbye Dignity" at Tokyo's Narita Airport this morning as I stumbled my way into a Freakishly Embarrassing situation. There I was, waiting in line for a Customs Official to stamp my passport, when I felt a Gentle Tap on my shoulder. "Pardon me, is this the line for Foreigners?," asked a woman in a squeaky voice that sounded vaguely like Minnie Mouse. I turned around and, to my shock, came face-to-face with what can only be described as an explosion in the "Hello Kitty" factory. She wore a bright pink and purple fur coat festooned with stuffed animals including a Cottontail Rabbit clinging to her back and a Cheshire Cat wrapped around her neck. Her shoes -- a pair of Purple Platform Boots offset by Lime Green stockings and Bright, Red Hearts -- made it look like she was on stilts. Her hair, a mass of Pink and Purple Dredlocks, was held firmly in place by a pair of Sparkling, Plastic Orbs. She looked like Pippi Longstocking on Acid. "I ... err ... yes ... this line is for Foreigners," I stammered. Then it struck me: She couldn't possibly be for real. "I like your costume," I chuckled, "You really had me going there for a second!" "It's not a costume," she smiled, "This is how I dress everyday!" And with that, we parted ways: I boarded a flight to Jeju, a "remote and mysterious island" off the Southwest coast of Korea, and she, no doubt, went back through the Looking Glass ...!

7 comments:

garnett109 said...

Marty go back to the decafe!

Traci said...

Oh my stars! Not my costume...WACKO!

Beth said...

She certainly sounds very polite and friendly!

Dawn said...

WOW... Well, as they say... it takes all kinds!

be well...

emikk said...

Send her to Duvall street in Key West, fantasy fest is getting in gear and she'd be a big hit!

Unknown said...

As many times I'd been to Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, I don't remeber meeting Pipi.
Hugs, Laini

Amy said...

Was that a scarf?! I have to have one!