Thursday, October 23, 2008

SEAWEED: THE BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!


My policy regarding food in Korea has always been "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," but this morning -- after taking a pass on a plate of "Spicy Steamed Gastropods with Vegetables" -- I finally worked-up enough courage to ask my colleague from China what she was eating.
Me: What on Earth are you eating? It looks like it just washed-up on the beach!
Judy: Seaweed.
Me: Yuck ... I've had that in Japan. Unless it's wrapped around a piece of Sushi, I'm not a big fan.
Judy: Korean Seaweed is much better than Japanese Seaweed. It's good for you, too. You should try some.
Me: Silly me, I thought Seaweed was Seaweed.
I decided to give it a try. Korean Seaweed comes in handy, foil packs, sealed with a Gold Sticker proudly proclaiming that it has been "Triple Inspected" by a panel of experts. I tried not to think about why they would need three separate inspectors to examine a piece of seaweed -- or what qualifies someone to be a "seaweed expert" -- and I took a big bite. It was delicious: Tangy but not too overpowering. Salty, with just a hint of plankton. It melts in your mouth. Who knows, when I get home, perhaps I'll swing by the Santa Monica Pier and scrape myself up a feast ...!

8 comments:

garnett109 said...

It is so you dont get mercury poisoning or ecoli

Myra said...

GROSS! Sorry, but gross! Too bad you can't pack some burgers and fries to take on your trips! Oh, and a half caffe!

Traci said...

Mmm tasty. Bet you can't wait for home!

Beth said...

"Just a hint of plankton." Haha!

Dawn said...

Ewww.

be well!

Saltydawg said...

I take it you haven't tried the kimchi which is rotton cabbage with garlic. Talk about bad wind after you've eaten it. I nearly blew me trousers off.
Gaz ;-)

emikk said...

Maybe you could add a can of tuna, a few dollops of mayonaise, throw it in the blender to make a luscious smoothie!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I guess I'm the strange one out of the bunch it sounded good to me. (Hugs)Indigo