Wednesday, October 22, 2008

PORK BELLYS AND BATHROOMS ... ON JEJU ISLAND!

They say a picture's worth a thousand words ... and that's a good thing considering that most of the locals here on Jeju Island speak very little English. Instead, they resort to an elaborate system of hand gestures and symbols when it comes to communicating with foreigners. Take the restaurant I went to for dinner last night. Instead of the usual signs one would expect directing you to a restroom, here on Jeju they take a more pragmatic approach. To find the Men's Room, you just follow the signs that show a man urinating on the floor. Women, however, have a bigger challenge. They need to follow the signs showing a woman doing her business while crouched on the floor. As for the menu, there was no need for translation. This restaurant served only two items: "Fatty Black Pork Belly," barbecued at your table, and a "salad" consisting of scallions with hot peppers and onion juice. All I can say is, "Thank God for the directional signs." A lot of my colleagues found themselves running back and forth, again and again ...!

7 comments:

garnett109 said...

What's wrong with bbq pork bellies?

Sage Ravenwood said...

This was hilarious! I don't think I would of been able to look at those signs and not laugh. Then again that could just be the kid in me. (Hugs)Indigo

Dawn said...

Oh my... I think those signs are just a bit disturbing! LOL I think I will hold it in too!

be well...

Beth said...

Those are too funny! Especially the women's!

Beth said...

Marty, would you be willing to email me and give me your email address? You've left several comments over at my place that I'd love to respond to! If not, that's okay, too!

Luvrte66@aol.com

Thanks! Beth

Unknown said...

Reminds me of my trip to Morocco....stayed with the veggies the whole trip and looked for the Golden Arch...nice watercloset.
Laini

Saltydawg said...

When I was in Korea, after 2 weeks I could have murdered for some Western food so myself and my work mate came across TGIF, I hate the place, but we nearly went through the menu as well as the beer list.
Gaz